Monday, August 4, 2008

Blow by blow in Mexico

Once again Dennis and I have gone on another adventure; this one has taken us further from our home in Alaska than ever before. We have embarked on an adventure of a life time. CABO SAN LUCAS!
As many know I am a big pre-packer. I like to have everything ready weeks and sometimes months in advance. Well this was definitely one of those trips. I am pretty sure I was packed about 40 days out. Making sure that I had everything that I might possibly need. Then I also made Dennis do the same. Packing everything from socks to shampoo. There was no way that we were going to forget anything.
So Sierra followed Dennis and I to my work where I left my car and then we headed to the airport. Before we even reached the airport Dennis was already complaining about how much he hates airports. And how he should get special treatment because he is Dennis Charles Quirk of the United States Army... haha I laughed and told him to be quite. We checked in and made it thru security with plenty of time.
When we boarded the plane I noticed that we had a window seat and a middle seat, there was a bigger man on the isle. I asked Dennis which side he wanted. OF CORSE he took the window seat. So I was crammed between fat man and sleeping Dennis. Dennis had just worked a 24 hour shift the night before and I knew he was tired. But Still, He fell asleep about 5 minutes after leaving the ground. Not only that but the second he fell asleep somehow his arm was flung into my lap. So there was barely 5 inches between Dennis’ hand and the man next to me which was taking up the entire arm rest. So I did not get a wink of sleep. I tried to watch a movie but my computer wouldn’t read the movie that I had. So I played some solitaire. 28 games of which I didn’t win ONE! Next thing I knew the 3 hour flight was over and we had landed in Portland. After a short break in Portland we boarded the plane which we had thought would take us directly to Cabo. The flight wasn’t full and there was an empty row in the back so we made the big move to the back of the plane where I made Dennis sit up and I sprawled out across the remaining two rows and Dennis. The direct flight was not so much direct, we had to stop in San Diego and drop some people off... Get more people… and then head south. It was a long day.
When we finally landed, got through their customs and hopped in a taxi, we had an hour ride ahead of us. Weaving in and out of cars, switching lanes without signaling, and enjoying the pure ghettoness of the scenery, we finally made it to Siesta Suites!! After checking in and hiking to our 5th Floor palace we settled in, threw on our bathing suits, and headed for the beach. Or at least what I thought was the beach. My first impression of Cabo was not exactly the best. Little kids blowing whistles at me, kids asking me to buy gum, women waving necklaces in my face. Men asking Dennis if he wants weed? I was shocked with all of the different things that people were trying to get me to purchase. After walking back and forth, forth and back we finally found a water taxi that would take us to the Beach. We jumped on board and headed for the Jet Skies. Well after filling out paperwork, having a beer with the local Jet Ski renter, we were off to Jet Ski heaven. Dennis drove at first as I screamed and whined on the back because the salt water was in my eyes. Then he gave me my chance to drive. Boy did I give him a dose of his own medicine. Ok well not really. But I did try my darnedest! Well I let Dennis drive again and first thing he did was Knock me off into the deep shark infested waters (yes it was deep but I made up the shark part) well we were both in the water up to our necks and swimming for the Jet Ski.
After our 30 minute ride on the Jet Ski we headed back to our room where we changed and headed out for dinner. Ruth’s Chris or as Dennis would say Ruth Chris’s. We were the first people in the place as we sat down our napkins were placed in our laps, a bottle of water was brought to us with menus. Dennis ordered the Prime Fillet and I ordered the petite Fillet! The waiter brought out our meat and it was still sizzling in the juices that covered the plate. I cut into my fillet... OH MY GOSH. I was in heaven! The most delicious thing to touch my mouth! Dinner was absolutely delightful. We headed back to the room and we passed out by 7:30.



Day 2:
Early to rise I woke up at 8:15, the sun was shining and my boyfriend was still passed out snoring! So I woke up and threw on my swim suit. I went and laid in the sun until Dennis woke up. When Dennis arose we decided breakfast was in order. So we started the long trek to the marina where most of the restaurants are. We found a seat at the Galleria where I had French toast (delicious) and Dennis ate a quesadilla and carne asada (it was good). While we were chatting with our waiter he said that he had a friend with a boat that would take us snorkeling. Thirty minutes later we were on a private boat with lines in the water heading to Santa Maria. The whole ride was beautiful; Dennis and I sat right up front on the bow of the boat. Just absorbing the sun and enjoying every second. Finally we arrived at Santa Maria, where there were huge catamaran boats full of people all trying to see some fish. Juan gave us life jackets, fins, mask and snorkel. Instantly Dennis’ life jacket blew off the boat! I told Dennis “Jump Jump” he threw his fins on a clumsily jumped after his life jacket. Juan and I both laughed at the sight. If there were only words that could describe the view. Anyways after I joined Dennis in the water we swam around looking at fish. Once in a while one of us choking on the salt water, we stayed close by each other. After a while I began to get cold, so Dennis and I headed back to the boat to warm up. Well little did we know that it was to be a long ride back. The water had begun to churn like boiling water and the swells got rather big. Us sitting on the bow of the boat wasn’t the best idea. We were right in the sun and also right in the spot where waves that broke over the bow sprayed! So it was a cold trip back. A couple hours later we were waking up from a nap. Where we noticed that we had gotten SUN BURNT! Dennis’ leg was fried; the tops of my feet and both of our shoulders had gotten a wee bit too much sun. So it was about to be a long night.
At Siesta Suites there is a restaurant down stairs called Salvatories. It is a little Italian place with Delicious food. 2 baskets of bread, ravioli, chicken parmesan, flan, and a rose from a random drunk guy later we were stuffed! We decided to go out and have one drink before we went to bed. We went to “Uno Mas” a small little kiosk type bar that was very chill and was said to have the best margaritas. So we sat and chatted with the bar tender, Jesus, and drank our margarita. After learning about some Mexican Culture and different states in Mexico we headed off to bed.






Day 3:
Waking up to a sky full of sun has been a very new thing to us after being in Alaska for this past summer. So we quickly dressed and started our day! First it was off to Mama’s home of the “Worlds Best French Toast” personally I think my mama’s is much better but I think I am biased. Then it was back to the Jet skiing place. Where we each got our own jet ski and headed out in the bay. After that we went to The Office which is a rather nice restaurant that doesn’t allow solicitors in their section of the beach. We grubbed and headed to the water, after soaking ourselves we jumped in a cab and went back to our room. I of course was ready for a much needed nap.
Dennis had visited a restaurant previous to our trip that he had enjoyed and wanted to go to. So it was off to Brazil. A very good idea for a restaurant. You make no orders other than your drinks. If you wish for a salad, you go and get it. And then the meats come to you. All different meats cooked over an open flame are brought to you one at time. And cut right off of the sword that they are cooked on. You get to test tons of different meats, each prepared different ways. I personally wasn’t a huge fan of any of the meats. But Dennis was as happy as a little clam with his dinner of meat and water oh yeah and French fries. You have got to love Dennis’ need for meat!
After dinner it was a nice little walk to Dairy Queen to fill our need for some sweets. After munching on some ice cream we took a long walk along the marina. It was so Romantic! Just kind of doing our own thing and holding hands. Next time we come down here we need to hire a photographer to take pictures of us and how CUTE we are… haha Anyways once the walk was over it was Time for bed!

Day 4
9:45 sharp the van was here to get us and take us to our Scooters. We filled out a little paperwork and headed out. Each on our own scooters we attempted to navigate the crazy roads of Cabo. The people here drive like no one else is on the road! No signals, changing lanes, not picking a lane and just driving down the middle, honking, not stopping at stop signs, and there are flaggers directing traffic with these awful whistles! BEEP you go this way, Beep you turn the wrong direction and pretend like its ok. Anyways we ended up just driving between cars, around cars, and I personally almost went through car. But it was super fun! We tried to make it up on a hill so we could see all of Cabo, but we weren’t allowed to go up there (gated). After the adventures around town we caught a cab back to the room. And I took a nap. When I awoke Dennis told me that there were people outside our room. I was kind of worried. So we exited our room and began our voyage across the deck. The guys were like “Gooday mate, we didn’t know anyone was up here. It okay if we stay” I told him we didn’t mind and we headed off for Dinner.
I was absolutely SHOCKED at the restaurant that Dennis chose! It was a Sushi restaurant. We sat down ordered our waters as we do at every place and we took a look over the menu. I ordered my Teriyaki Chicken and Dennis got the Fillet of Beef thing. Also we got a chicken salad. The chicken for Dennis and all the veggies for me! Well Dennis tried his first piece of ginger chicken. He thought it was ok. But it was only the beginning of him trying new foods! Next out came our entrees. Dennis’ meat was served over two organized mounds of rice. He separated each of the different foods and began to taste each. Starting with the most comfortable rice. Yum… Next was the Beef… OMG! This is so good! Then he continued eating his beef with his fork. No Knife. The meat was so tender he barely even needed the fork. Anyways, after he finished his beef and rice and I was only ¼ of the way through with my meal he debated getting another order of beef. I told him he could but instead I shared my teriyaki chicken with him. Then Dessert time! Tempura Ice cream! It was so good. I gobbled mine up faster than you can say… well anything. It was so delicious. I want to go back just for the ice cream. Dennis on the other end wants to go back for the whole meal.
We made the walk back to our room and the Australians were still there. We stopped and chatted with them for about 30 minutes and then I went on my way taking pictures of the semi sunset that we still had left. I still haven’t been up on the roof for a good sunset. But maybe we will just have to come back another time! Hint hint Dennis!!!




Day 5:
We woke up relatively early and headed towards the marina to eat some breakfast. We stopped at Alexandria. Thinking that it would be delicious, oh boy were we wrong. I had the French toast and it was disgusting. It was saturated in egg for way too long to the point where it was more like a slop that a pig would eat than an actual piece of bread. The fruit all over Cabo had no crisp to it, it was all mushy. It was like eating a strawberry that sat out in the sun for much too long. Why they serve it I have no idea.
After our disgusting breakfast it was off to lovers beach. We flagged down a water taxi to take us out in the marina. Me knowing that I used to be able to do anything, because I was a pretty big tomboy, figured I could jump from the boat before the wave came up and make it on to the beach just perfect. I jumped I almost landed on my feet but not fast enough. A large wave (it really wasn’t that big but it felt HUGE) came rushing beneath my feet. Next thing I knew there were 2 Mexicans’ and probably many of the other onlookers laughing at me while I flailed and flopped with one arm up in the air trying not to get my sun dress wet. Needless to say, my knee got a little banged up and my sundress stayed dry.
Then we decided to go over to the pacific side of the beach and see what was over there. About 5 people were all that we saw on this side of the beach. On the right was a long strip of beach and to the left was a very tall rock mountain that had been carved by the ocean. Large Boulders laid beneath the cliff almost as a boundary for people. But for Dennis and me it was just another place to explore! So after we watched a couple of waves and saw they weren’t coming up the beach very far we went for it. Going under and over all different boulders. I set my bag and sandals on a large rock so that I knew they wouldn’t get wet. Dennis not being a smart as me (ok he is totally smarter than me… but not on this occasion) set his on the ground. Not more than 10 seconds later I saw a wave that came just up to our feet. I of course freaked out. Dennis reassured me that we would be fine and just at that second a large wave came up and around a rock and swept his shoes away through a smaller crack between two rocks. Dennis being the great guy he is put out a good attempt to get his shoes as I laughed and tried to go around the large boulders. Slipping and clumsily falling. Cutting my arm on the jagged quartz which covered each of the water eroded boulders. Dennis came back with his shoes, THANK GOODNESS! There was no way I would have been able to capture them in time. After that we left our large boulders and headed for the massive waves that were further down the beach. I took pictures of Dennis and then he took some of me. Well once again I was goofing around and Whooosh… I was on my bum faster than you can say “Aunt Gimima”. I swear I took a beating. I then acted like a good sport and ran back to the waves. After playing on levers beach some more we jumped back on the boat and headed back to the Jet Ski rental place. Where we got one Jet Ski for the both of us and we took turns riding. I let Dennis drive more than I did because it seems like when I rode with him on the back his weight was controlling the Jet Ski more than I could with the handle bars. It was rather obnoxious. Then all of a sudden where my legs held on to Dennis when I was on the back began to chafe! It was ok at first and then it really started to hurt. Each wave we bounded off of rubbed my legs more and more. Finally we headed in and went around town looking for things to buy.
After skipping my nap I was very tired but I pushed through and made it to dinner. Dinner was good a very friendly atmosphere. But the walk around the marina just holding hands and soaking in where we were. That was the most amazing part of all.

Day 6:
Dune Buggys and Ruth's Chris was the plan. We headed out in a van at the butt crack of the morning and about 50 minutes later we were at the buggys. After getting our gear we jumped in the buggy and headed out. Dennis was driving and I holding on for dear life. It was beautiful and absolutely amazing. Here are some pics to give you an idea! Once again we headed to Ruth's Chris and I ate the same thing petite fillet. It was just as good and maybe even better than the previous one I had on our first day in paradise. After dinner, dennis rolled my full belly back to Siesta suites where we layed on the roof looking up at the stars, soaking everything in for one last time.
Day 7: We packed up and headed for the airport. It was so sad to leave. I ever wanted to leave our perch high about the average person. i wanted to stay there forever just laying around and enjoying life.

No comments: