Sunday, February 20, 2011

Friends - Day Six- September 25th, 2010


The trip to Denver was much shorter than all previous days. It was smooth sailing all the way until we hit a little traffic. There was actually a different view from the past field and corn view, which was a pleasant surprise after hours of nothingness. The rock formations were interesting and I saw my first real cowboy. Or at least what I thought was a cowboy. I thought it was John Wayne up on a cliff looking down at me. But nope! It was just a cut out, I am not sure of its purpose other than to confuse me. Maybe it is to scare off animals or something, almost like a scarecrow would. Who knows! Upon entering Denver there was a sudden change from field to store, store to Mall, Mall to CITY! I actually like the city, it doesn’t seem to bother me as much as I thought it would. The hustle and bustle of people going from here to there. I often think about living in a big city, then I realize that there is no silence. So that idea quickly is thrown into the “Bad idea” portion of my brain.
Shortly after navigating through Denver we made it to our hotel in Aurora (a suburb of Denver). We unhooked the trailer, grabbed some beverages and headed to our room to shower and nap before meeting up with Jana and Jon. Jana and I have used to work together and Dennis actually introduced Jana to Jon one night when Jana and I were out. Jana and Jon moved to Denver together when Jon got out of the Army. Jana and Jon picked us up and took us to the train station where we would hitch a ride downtown and go to Oktoberfest! We hopped on the train, dennis facing forward so he didn’t get sick and we took the 30 minute train ride down town. After arriving down town I found there was a whole nether bread of people that I hadn’t known about. They were a mix between a carni and homeless. I wasn’t sure if staring would be bad, or exactly what they wanted. There were people in the middle of the road, people in costume and people that looked completely out of it. It was almost hard for me to carry a conversation while walking and trying to absorb all of this new culture.
When we arrived Downtown there were a couple of blocks that were blocked off. People were already stumbling around and it was still early. It reminded me of some of the college parties that I went to in Reno. Everyone was happy and running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Jana, Jon and I grabbed a beer and we stood in a blocked off intersection catching up. After we finished up downtown we hopped back on the train said our goodbyes and headed to bed.

No comments: